3 Ways to Act Like Jesus in Any Situation
I used to wear a WWJD bracelet back in the day.In fact, it appears that the majority of the globe did.According to the narrative, a youth group leader in Holland, Michigan, initiated a grass-roots initiative to assist her teenagers remember the phrase when they were younger.The trend blossomed in the 90’s, and everyone, including myself, went on the bandwagon.And of course, as often happens, the enthusiasm turned to mocking, and individuals who were wearing the wristbands started taking them off stating, among other things, that it’s not so much what Jesus would do, but what Jesus did that truly matters.
- I can’t answer for everyone who turned their backs on the bracelet; I can only speak for myself, but I can say that my critique of such items occurred at a time when my own theological arrogance was at its highest point.
- That’s why here I am again, 20 years later and maybe a bit more mature, asking the same question over and over.
- It counts, of course, what Jesus did; and what He did was die on the cross and rise again.
- His living Christ resides inside every Christian in the Holy Spirit, but that indwelling presence isn’t only there for convenience.
- He’s there for our own evolution.
- In other words, what Jesus did drives us to ask what would Jesus do, and then to follow Him.
- As parents, as employees, as employees, as citizens with a voting ballot in our hands, as friends – we must be asking this question, for it’s God’s will for all of us, regardless of what station of life we find ourselves in, to be conformed to the image of Jesus.
- But this is where complexity rears its ugly head, for though it’s a simple question to ask, it’s not necessarily a straightforward response to diagnose.
That’s because Jesus performed a lot of different things in a lot of different situations.Sometimes He was angry; sometimes He wasn’t.Sometimes He healed; sometimes He didn’t.Sometimes He talked and sometimes He was silent.
When you start asking the issue of what would Jesus do in a given scenario, therefore, it’s not always simple to get a definite answer.You can, nonetheless, I suppose state some general things about the activities of Jesus, and so there are at least three easy things you can always do in every scenario if you wish to act like Jesus: 1.Tell the truth.This is tougher than it sounds, isn’t it?But if you want to act like Jesus, you can always tell the truth.Whether addressing the Pharisees, challenging the Samaritan lady, or restoring the fallen disciple Peter, Jesus proclaimed the truth.
Of course, the temptation for us to convince ourselves that sometimes the most loving thing we can do, and in so doing be like Jesus, is to bend the truth ever so slightly so as to not offend.But wounds from a friend can be trusted (Prov.27:6), and Jesus is indeed our friend.If we want to act like Jesus, we must be committed to the difficult work of truth-telling in any situation.2.Be compassionate.
- Truth can be used like a soothing salve or a jackhammer.
- And it takes a great deal of wisdom to know the appropriateness of each.
- Jesus had such wisdom, and He is not afraid to break the stoney hearts with the hammer of God’s truth, and He is also not afraid to bend low and apply that same truth to the hurting sinner.
- But in either case, He acted with compassion.
- Even His most difficult teaching, even His most biting criticism, even His most heated arguments, were made compassionately.
- Towards the unbelieving Jews and the Pharisees, whom He warned of the coming judgment, He still cried out from the cross for the Father to forgive them, for they did not know what they were doing.
- If we want to act like Jesus, we can always make the choice of compassion.
- Give of yourself.
- Finally, we can make the choice to give of ourselves in any situation.
- Sometimes that means taking the 5 extra minutes to listen to a badly put together story from one of your children who is convinced the most important thing in the world has happened.
Other times it means getting in the car to go to the home of someone who has just lost a person dear to them.Still other times it means giving of your resources so that someone else can have their needs met.In any case, though, we can always make the choice to give of ourselves.
We can always make the choice to make our attitudes like that of Jesus, who though He is God, did not cling tightly to that position, but instead gave of Himself fully and completely for our sake (Phil.2:1-11).(Phil.2:1-11).True enough, situations in our world are complex.
- But there some things that can cut through the complexity – some things you can always do, by the power of and the motivation from the gospel which is transforming us into the likeness of Christ.
- So don’t just stand there today.
- Act like Jesus.
How to Be More Like Jesus (Christianity)
Article to be downloaded article to be downloaded To be like Jesus means to be a person who is willing to put others before oneself, to seek wisdom, and to be concerned about how one interacts with all of the people one comes into contact with during life. Here are some suggestions for becoming more like Jesus.
- 1Understand who Jesus is and what he accomplished. More information about him may be found in the Bible. According to Acts 20:32, the Word of God has the ability to build you up.
- 2 I adore him. Share your feelings of love with others. People will recognize us if we have the agape love of God and display it to the rest of the world, according to Jesus in John 13:34-35. Have the correct frame of mind. ″Above all things, guard your heart, for it is from it that the problems of life arise.″ Proverbs 4:23. According to Proverbs 3:5, ″Put your trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not put your confidence in your own understanding.″
- 3 Provide for the needs of other individuals. Look beyond yourself and treat others as you would like to be treated (Golden Rule of Jesus in Matthew 7:12)
- think beyond yourself and consider others. Despite the fact that Peter had betrayed Jesus, Jesus forgave him. Peter betrayed Jesus, but Jesus would never betray Peter.
- 4Be educated and smart in your decisions. (Luke 2:52) Jesus gained in wisdom, stature, and favor with God and man as time passed. Keep your head in the sand. ″An example I have set before you, that you should follow in my footsteps,″ Jesus remarked after washing His disciples’ feet (John 13:15). Deal with your arrogance and whatever boastfulness you may have. According to Philippians 2:5, ″Let this humble spirit dwell within you, just as it dwelled within Christ Jesus.″ Be prepared to apologize when you make a mistake.
- 6Always keep people in mind while you are making decisions. Love, according to I Corinthians 13:4, is constantly patient and kind to others. It was also through love that Jesus was able to heal the sick, and His aim was for His disciples to do the same (Matthew 14:14, Matthew 10:7-8
- 7). Keep an eye on your tone of voice and your words (don’t curse, blaspheme, or use profanity, for example). Always be considerate of others and attempt to see things from their point of view whenever possible. ″Father, forgive them, because they know not what they do,″ Jesus murmured while hanging on the cross (Luke 23:34). Advertisement
- Question Add a new question Question What is it about living a Christian life that is so difficult? ″Anyone who persecutes Me will also persecute My disciples,″ Jesus warns in the Bible. Satan is waiting in the wings, preparing to ruin people who believe in Jesus. Faith, hope, and prayer, on the other hand, will see you through tough times. Christians are being slaughtered, persecuted, ridiculed, stigmatized, criticized, and mistreated as a result of their religious beliefs and practices. No one can go through life without encountering difficulties in their Christian faith. Keep in mind that Jesus died for your sins and that you will receive a magnificent recompense as a result.
- Concerning the Question What is it about Christians that makes them desire to behave like Jesus? Christians follow Jesus’ teachings because they are the foundation of their faith, making him the ideal role model. By acting in the manner of Jesus, a Christian can feel certain that they are following their religion’s teachings in the manner in which Jesus would have wanted them to.
- Concerning the Question Right now, I’m going through a lot of things. Is it better for me to give up? You should not give up because Jesus will assist you in overcoming your difficulties. Read Psalm 23
- it talks about God guiding you through the valley of the shadow of death.
- Ask yourself a question. How can I get rid of the gloomy feeling I get after doing something that I know would offend Jesus? It takes courage to admit that you’ve made a mistake and sinned by lying, but it’s the first, and most crucial, step. Congratulations! The next stage, as you appear to have surmised, is to approach God in a state of prayer. Acknowledging your error and requesting his forgiveness are the next actions to take. Repentance is the final stage – seek assistance so that you can avoid the temptation to repeat your mistake in the future. Be kind with yourself as you go through these processes. You deserve it. Everyone makes errors and behaves inappropriately at times, but the beauty of God/Jesus is that He is mercifully forgiving at all times. Is it possible for Christians to sin and yet be considered Christians? You do not have to worry since Jesus has forgiven all of your sins. The reason we are Christians is that Jesus came to earth to take away ALL of our sins (John 3:16).
- Concerning the Question What can I do to increase my self-confidence? Just know that God will always love you no matter what. Psalm 139:13-14, Hebrews 4:16, 2 Corinthians 12:9, 2 Timothy 1:7, Ephesians 2:10, Hebrews 4:16.
- Concerning the Question What can I do to stop disliking other people? The act of hating (or greatly disliking) someone is more prevalent than you may believe, and can be motivated by a person’s conduct, looks, or prior experiences. The most important thing you can do is to just let go of these sentiments rather than concentrating on them more. It is important to recognize that no one is flawless and that everyone makes mistakes and hurts others at times. While acknowledging this does not justify what has been done to you, it can prevent you from feeling so much animosity towards the person who has wronged you. Answer to the question: ″Why is fasting so important?″ We believe that fasting is vital because it helps you to remove distractions from your life – such as television shows, movies, or food – and provides you more time to devote to Jesus and the Bible. Question: Does God test our faith by putting us through trials? As James writes in the book of James, ″My brothers, consider it all pleasure when you experience various tribulations
- for you know that the testing of your faith creates perseverance.″ Is it possible that God sends the trials? It is more accurate to say that He permits the challenges because he recognizes that they have the ability to draw us to himself while also strengthening our character. The Bible also states that God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we are capable of bearing in our current state.
- Question: How can you be certain that you are saved and that you will join the kingdom of heaven? Theladyorthetiger.com’s Community Response You can be assured since the Bible explicitly states so! It is necessary to have faith.
- More information can be found in the following answers: Inquire about something There are 200 characters remaining. Include your email address so that you may be notified when this question has been resolved. Advertisement submissions are welcome.
- Do not make snap judgments about people based on their differences.
- Give Jesus your entire being in complete submission.
- Pray to God and confess your faults to him.
- Love your adversaries, as well as everyone else who is through difficulties. Everyone on this planet deserves to be loved!
- Remember that we are all fall short of His Glory, therefore proceed with caution while passing judgment on others.
- Simply forgive those who have wronged you.
Thank you for submitting a suggestion for consideration! Advertisement
About This Article
The writers of this page have together authored a page that has been read 184,722 times.
How to Live Like Jesus – Faith and Reason
Do you wish to live your life in the manner of Jesus?Is it your desire to live a transformed life in contact with God as your Father, with Christ as your brother, and with the Holy Spirit as your continual source of assistance and consolation?’Do you want your Christian religion to not only be a part of your life, but to be your life?’ Do you want your Christian faith to penetrate and permeate all you say and think and do?If you’re anything like me, you’re probably thinking, ″Yes!Yes!
- I want all of that!″ At the same time, you’re recalling how many times you’ve begun down that road with a lot of hope and enthusiasm, only to stumble and fall short.
- Perhaps you’ve been so disillusioned by so many ″false starts″ in your journey toward living a fully transformed Christian life that you’ve come to believe it’s just impossible.
- However, if this is the case, don’t be deterred.
- Transformation is possible, not because I say so, but because God believes it is possible.
- There is no secret formula, no secret wisdom, no mystical experience that is only available to the ″really spiritual″ that holds the key to success (whoever they are).
- It’s for everybody and everyone who places their faith in Jesus Christ, including you.
- All that is necessary is that you pay attention to and put your confidence in what God has clearly spoken.
The key to living like Jesus
In Romans 12:2, God reveals the secret to live a life that resembles Jesus’.According to the Apostle Paul, ″Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be converted by the renewing of your mind.″ (See also Romans 12:2) Here it is: the path to a life of transformation.It’s not a secret anymore.God hasn’t made things difficult for us.Let’s take a deeper look at Paul’s remarks, which are rather basic but not always easy to understand.
- When he says, ″do not be conformed,″ he is employing a passive verb, which suggests that we are the recipients of the conforming work, rather than the doers of the activity.
- In other words, he is warning us not to allow ourselves to be shaped by the world into its mold.
- Next, when Paul adds, ″but be transformed,″ he is employing another passive verb, indicating that we are not the ones who are undergoing transformation.
- Like a potter shaping clay, God is molding us into who we are meant to be (Isaiah 64:8).
- Put another way, Paul is saying, ″Don’t let the world to create you according to its mold; instead, allow God to refashion you into someone like Jesus.″
The how of living like Jesus
Now comes the most crucial part…the how-to.The question is, how can we put an end to the world’s ″conforming″ influence in favor of God’s ″transformation?″ ″By the renewing of your minds,″ the solution is provided.″All right, but how do we go about doing that?″ you’re presumably thinking.″How do we revitalize our spirits?″ That’s a great question!For the sake of simplicity, I’ll say it this way: By acquiring the ability to think like Jesus.
- However, the reason why I prefer this brief response is that it serves as a reminder to me that even Jesus did not live like Jesus just by trying very hard to be a good person.
- Instead, he lived a life of perfect obedience to God because his thoughts and desires were completely aligned with the thoughts and desires of the Father.
- It follows that if this was true for Jesus, it must be true for us, which is why Paul went on to say,…be converted by the renewing of your minds, so that you may approve what God’s will is, which is good, acceptable, and perfect.
- (See also Romans 12:2) To put it another way, being like Jesus involves approving of what God approves of, desiring what God desiring, and declaring good what God declares good, acceptable what he declares acceptable, and flawless what he declares flawless.
- All of those things, however, will be impossible unless we learn to think like Jesus, since, as Francis Schaeffer once observed, ″Men do what they think.″
Why Christians struggle to live like Jesus
I believe that many Christians aren’t living transformed lives because they’re chasing God’s heart while disregarding God’s intellect.This is supported by a plethora of evidence that demonstrates how little Christians read, study, and comprehend the Bible.It also explains why so many Christians today struggle to identify what it is that truly distinguishes their beliefs, lives, and viewpoints from the rest of the culture in which they find themselves.The reason we are unable to live like Jesus is because we have not learnt to think in the same manner that he thinks.Prepared to Answer’s aim is to teach a new generation of Christians how to think like Jesus by modeling his behavior.
- Yes, living like Jesus entails more than simply thinking like him, but it does not include any less effort than that.
- After all, we can’t live with our hearts committed to Christ if our brains aren’t also devoted to Him.
- If you’re still reading, it’s a good indication that something has struck a chord with you.
- You have the distinct impression that, despite your best efforts, you are missing some important component of leading a completely changed Christian life.
- Please consider joining with me and a community of people who are striving to live as Jesus did and to educate others to do the same by accepting God’s invitation to consciously, purposefully, persistently and faithfully re-train our minds to think like Jesus.
- Are you ready to continue your journey?
- Following is the second installment of the series: How Do I Begin Thinking Like Jesus?
- Originally published on July 23, 2018, this version was revised on August 11, 2020.
You might also like
- What is the next post in the series (part 2 of 3)? How can I begin to think like Jesus?
- The third and final piece in the series is titled: ″Start Thinking Like Jesus Today.″
- Reclaiming the Christian Mind
- Faith and Reason – A Guide to Frequently Asked Questions
Join our Facebook Group – Teaching Children to Think Like Jesus – for more information.
What does it mean to act like Jesus?
To be like Jesus means to be a person who is willing to put others before oneself, to seek wisdom, and to be concerned about how one interacts with all of the people one comes into contact with during one’s life.
How can I act more like Jesus?
As you act on your faith and follow God, just as Jesus did, your understanding of God will expand, and your desire to be obedient will grow with it…. Listed below are five easy characteristics that you may begin working on right away to become more like Him.
- Charity and love are essential. All individuals, including those who loathed Christ, were loved by Christ.
What is your belief about Jesus?
The vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus was both a person and the Son of God at the same time. While there has been theological controversy regarding the character of Jesus, Trinitarian Christians usually believe that Jesus is God incarnate, God the Son, and the ″real God and genuine man″ (as defined by the Bible) (or both fully divine and fully human).
What are Christian’s beliefs?
Christianity is based on the life, teachings, and death of Jesus Christ, and its adherents base their views on his teachings.Christians believe in a single God who created heaven, earth, and the whole world from nothing.The Jewish faith is credited with establishing the concept of a single God.Christians believe that Jesus is the ″Messiah,″ or the world’s savior, and that he came to save them.
What is significant about the fact that Jesus is both fully human and fully God?
Thankfully, Jesus was fully human as well as fully God, since if He had simply been fully human, his death would have done nothing to benefit us or the world. That Jesus was both totally human and entirely divine is what makes him our savior in the first place (Titus 2:13-14).
How do I know that the Holy Spirit is in me?
The existence of the fruit of the Spirit is one indication that you have received the holy spirit.The fruit of the Spirit, on the other hand, is love, joy, peace, long patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, to name a few characteristics.When it comes to growth, you may be patient with yourself as you learn to live in accordance with the fruit of the Spirit.
What are the 3 roles of Jesus?
According to the theology, Jesus Christ served in three different capacities (or ″offices″) during his earthly ministry: prophet, priest, and king (or ″offices″). Traditionally, the nomination of someone to any of these three posts might be sanctioned by pouring oil over the person’s head, a practice that was practiced in the Old Testament.
What are the two natures of Jesus?
…that because Jesus’ two natures, divine and human, were one in the same person, any statement about Jesus pertained to both of his natures at the same time. As a result, God suffered and died on the cross, and the humanity of Jesus was omnipresent throughout the experience.
What are the basic beliefs of a Christian?
The majority of Christian teenagers do not hold traditional religious beliefs! Since the beginning of time, the Christian religion has been built on four fundamental beliefs: 1) The Bible is reliable when it comes to what it says about Jesus. 2) Jesus is the Son of God. 3) Jesus was born, lived, died, and rose from the dead.
What does the Bible say about believing in Jesus?
Don’t allow any of these things – or anything else — discourage you from coming to Jesus Christ. Instead, take time to reflect on who He is and what He has accomplished for you through His death and resurrection. Then, through trust, give Him access to your heart and life. ″At that point, you will understand the truth, and the truth will set you free″ (John 8:32).
What do teens believe about Jesus and the Bible?
Proper Belief is translated into real-life experience. Teens who identify as ″Confident Christians″ believe the following: 1) that the Bible is trustworthy; 2) that Jesus is God; 3) that Jesus lived, died, and rose from the dead; and 4) that Jesus is the only way to enter the kingdom of heaven. As a result, what happened?
How many Americans believe in God, heaven and Jesus?
It’s terrible news for theology buffs: Americans are passionate about God, Heaven, and Jesus, but they are inconsistent when it comes to religious dogma, according to a new survey. According to a poll on theology conducted by LifeWay Research, 61 percent of Americans think Jesus is divine, while 64 percent believe God accepts worship from people of all religious backgrounds.
Steps Download Article
- 1Prioritize God above everything else, even to the point of becoming selfless, in order to be able to contribute to others.
- 2 Advertisement 3Be kind to others as you would like to be treated. This includes persons with whom you may or may not have a good relationship. Do not be hateful
- 4be kind. Not because you want to have a larger treasure in heaven, but because you want to do good and right in the world. Because you are one of God’s children, every good deed or act of kindness you conduct brings glory to God.
- 5Follow the example and teachings of Jesus Christ, which are written in the Holy Bible. It is the only true ″How To″ guide to Christianity available! Pursue the baptism of the Holy Spirit because it is a promise made to everyone that it will not only lead us, but it will also instruct us.
- 6Do not pass judgment on others. That one is very difficult for many folks. God is the one who makes the decisions, not us. As Christians, we are commanded to love one another, which implies that we are to leave the judgement to the Almighty. It is OK to rebuke people (ideally in a sympathetic manner), but first and foremost, you must behave as Jesus did. 7Read your Bible and pray at least once a day. Just like you need to eat and drink to keep your body and spirit alive, you must continue to give God your ″ALL.″ That implies you must relinquish your right to hate, transgress knowingly, or seek vengeance. Make things right if you can, but that is not the same as retribution. Also, remember to repent, which means that you recognize the wrong you’re doing and decide to stop doing it. 9Tell everyone about it and keep in mind where God has taken you from and where you are now all the time. As a result, you will be better able to proclaim the gospel.
- 10Remember that Jesus died for our sins. Advertisement
- Question Add a new question Question Is it possible for a Christian to be friends with someone of the other sex? Yes, without a doubt! You and I can become buddies. That is exactly what God desires from us: to be compassionate to others. Just remember to always be responsible and chaste, and to do the right thing at all times.
- Concerning the Question Our mother is dying, and another member of our family is keeping us away. She is quite venomous. What can we do to help? Check with another family member or friend to see if they can mediate the conflict between you and her, or try to reason with her on your own. Inquire as to why you are being barred from entering, and what benefit it will provide. You may also offer prayers for this individual as well as for your mother. God is in complete command of the situation.
- Concerning the Question Is it possible for Christians to have sexual relations? Yes. Humans have been given the gift of sexuality by God. After you get married, you should only have sexual relations with your spouse.
- Concerning the Question Do Christians indulge in pornographic entertainment? Pornography should not be viewed by Christians. It is regarded unethical at the very least, and a sin at the very worst.
- Concerning the Question Is it possible for a Christian to have sexual relations outside of marriage? No. For Christians, having sexual relations outside of marriage is considered a sin.
- Concerning the Question What is the legal need for Christians to wear a head covering? It is dependent on the church you are a member of. Some jobs require one, while others do not.
- Concerning the Question Is it permissible for a Christian to listen to rock and other popular music? Yes. Christians are no different from the rest of the population in that they like all genres of music. They don’t all just sit around listening to hymns and religious tunes, believe it or not! Christians may not necessarily agree with all of the concepts of rock and pop music, but it does not exclude them from enjoying these kinds of music. Traditional Christians will find lots of non-offensive music to enjoy, as will others who are less religious.
- Concerning the Question What kind of relationship should a preacher’s wife have with her mother? In the same way, everyone should treat their mother with devotion, respect, love, and constancy, among other qualities
- Question Is it okay for Christian to go to parties and dance? Yes, but refrain from doing anything that would offend God, such as sexual actions, getting drunk, doing drugs, getting into trouble, or acting inappropriately.
- Question Is it possible for a Christian to have a boyfriend? Yes, but this opens the door to a whole new discussion about relationships and their boundaries. Short and sweet: Christian singles can and should date, but sexual connections should be saved for after marriage.
- More information can be found in the following answers: Inquire about something There are 200 characters remaining. Include your email address so that you may be notified when this question has been resolved. Advertisement submissions are welcome. Set a good example so that others will not be able to criticize you, your beliefs, or your God.
- Everyone should be loved because God is love.
- Allow yourself some alone time to speak with God and reflect on the Scriptures.
- Keep in mind that with God, anything is possible, and nothing is possible without Him. You are unable to complete these tasks on your own! Only with the assistance of God!
- Don’t listen to or support music or other media that is particularly anti-Christian in its lyrics or content, unless it is specifically anti-Christian in its lyrics or content.
- Listen to rock music that is not obscene or violent
- watch animation that is not just little ″David and Goliath
- ″ participate in sports even if they are not in a Christian League
- but don’t let it take over your life and remember that if you eat bad things, you will not be healthy
- and listen to music that is not obscene or violent. However, causing or disseminating negative effects is harmful to yourself and others, particularly to your soul.
- Because there is a gun in a movie or someone uses the f-word in a song, it does not rule out watching, listening, and making a decision about them while remaining a sinner rescued by grace. Don’t go about shooting people and yelling insults at them, or encouraging crudeness or immorality.
- The methods outlined above may appear easy, or they may appear difficult.
- In either case, if you take them into consideration in all you do and follow them, as well as believing the things that are written in the Bible, you are a Christian. Although it is difficult, try hard and do well because ″Even the Demons believe and shudder.″
- God’s plan of redemption, as shown by Jesus Christ, is the only guaranteed method to gain entrance into Heaven. Accepting Him into our hearts will result in the forgiveness of our sins, as well as the possibility of being saved and having eternal life. The Bible is the most reliable source of information on this subject. Take a look at it. Consider the implications of this. Keep up with it.
- As a disciple of Jesus Christ, it is important to consider how you spend your time. What are your hobbies, interests, and leisure activities, if any, are important to you.
- If such activities are in conflict with the teachings of the Bible as you read them (be honest, don’t alter their meanings to fit what you want to do or what you want others to do), then refrain from engaging in or encouraging them. Killing is not acceptable in the Christian tradition. Lying is not acceptable in the Christian community. Stealing is not acceptable in the Christian community. Adultery is not acceptable in the Christian community.
- Thank you for submitting a suggestion for consideration! Advertisement Do the best you can, but remember that you are only human
- therefore, do not be harsh on yourself or others!
- When speaking to someone about them, never say anything to them that suggests you would be delighted if they went to Hell or died. If you even have the slightest inkling of saying something like that, you should immediately seek God’s forgiveness, and He will grant it.
- Do not fall prey to the deluding notion that once we are saved, our sin nature is no longer present. Yes, it is. Our success in resisting sin depends on our ability to ask God for help in our daily battle against it. Never allow yourself to become complacent. ″Put on all of God’s armor so that when the day of evil arrives, you will be able to stand your ground.″ The devil is like a roaring lion, ready to devour any Christian who strays, even for a split second, from the path of righteousness.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself or others. Being so critical of others may cause them to become estranged from you as well as from your message of hope and faith. Despite your opposition to sin, you should love the sinner. Christ instructed his followers to, ″You have heard that one should love one’s brother.’ But I say to you, ‘Love your enemy!’″
About This Article
The writers of this page have together authored a page that has been read 136,634 times.
Act Like Jesus Study Guide
How to Stay Motivated After Your New Year’s Resolution Do you remember what you promised yourself last New Year’s resolution?When was the last time you said to yourself, ″That’s it, I’m going to make a change?″ And then you decided not to?You wanted to see a change take place, and you understood what you needed to do, but you couldn’t seem to make it last.
We do the same thing with our religious beliefs.We desire to live more as Jesus did, yet simply wanting to and working harder doesn’t seem to be enough to bring about change.So, as a Christ-follower, how do you get your convictions from your mind to your heart, which is just twelve inches away?You put forth the effort.
Yes, you do.You take action.Throughout Behave Like Jesus, Randy Frazee guides us through the spiritual workouts we must do every day in order to establish a habit of loving God and loving others, as well as to learn to act in the way Jesus did.The first four practices assist us in reaching up to God in order to move beliefs from our heads to our hearts: Through our worship of God, we are able to solidify our faith in him.By prayer, we are able to have a communication with God.In the Bible, we may find God’s instructions.
We have dedicated our entire lives to God’s mission.The final four practices provide us with opportunities to reach out to others: We spend our time and resources to Biblical community.We put our spiritual abilities to use.
We make our resources available to others.We are willing to share our beliefs because we care about others.Our religious ideas must not only enlighten but also alter us if we want to become like Jesus.It is the habit of reaching up to God and out to others that will help us to move beliefs from our heads to our hearts and change our lives.It is through the teachings of Act Like Jesus that we may learn the life-giving spiritual practices that will enable us to achieve our purpose of loving God and loving our neighbor.Among the topics covered are: How Do I Worship God?
What is the point of praying?What Method Should I Use to Study the Bible?What portion of my life does God desire?
How Do I Establish and Maintain Healthy Relationships?God has given me a number of spiritual gifts.Which ones are they?What is the best way for me to use my money to serve God?
- What Is the Best Way to Communicate My Faith?
- Think, Act, Be Like Jesus by Randy Frazee and the Act sections of the Believe Study Guide were used in the development of this lesson (2015).
- Designed to be used in conjunction with the Act Like Jesus Video Study, which is available on DVD or streaming video, both of which are offered separately.
How to Become More Like Jesus Christ
Because of our living prophet, our leaders, and the scriptures, we may learn how to become perfect in the same way that Jesus Christ was perfect.There is no invitation or example that can compare to the one that comes directly from Jesus Christ himself.″Therefore, what sort of gentlemen ought ye to be?″ he inquired.
″Truly, I say unto you, even as I am,″ I declare.We can follow Him if we want to become more like Him.Theologian Dieter F.Uchtdorf emphasized that ″to follow Christ…
is to learn from His character.″ In our capacity as spirit children of our heavenly Father, we have the ability to adopt Christlike characteristics into our lives and personalities.The Savior asks us to learn about His message by putting His teachings into action in our lives.To follow Him means to put proper ideas into practice and then to observe for ourselves the rewards that result.″ Being transformed into the image of Christ is a lifelong process.Listed below are five easy characteristics that you may begin working on right away to become more like Him.1.Generosity and affection Christ had compassion for all people, including those who opposed Him.
He interacted with, taught, healed, and accepted everyone with whom He came into contact.How to cultivate generosity and love on a daily basis: Ask God to fill you with the same compassion and love that He and Jesus Christ have for everyone, and look for opportunities to provide a helping hand.2.
Mastery of the subject Although you may not always have your physical goods, your education is something you will have for the rest of your life.How to gain knowledge on a daily basis: To learn, the Lord instructed us to ″seek knowledge, especially via study and also through faith.″ Study the words of living prophets every day and seek secular and spiritual knowledge by attending school, gaining new talents, and reading books about spirituality.3.The ability to be patient.Patience improves your ability to tolerate adversity and hardship with faith and tranquility, rather than with frustration or rage, as opposed to frustration or wrath.No one exemplified patience more effectively than Christ.
The Lord Jesus Christ, even in the midst of His greatest suffering, forgave quickly, remained committed to the will of His Father, and found ways to radiate pleasure.How to cultivate patience on a daily basis: Be patient with your everyday experiences and with each and every one of your relationships, including your connection with yourself.4.
A spirit of humility Despite the fact that Christ was the sole flawless person who ever lived, He was never arrogant.He was able to produce several miracles because he submitted to God’s will and gave God the glory.Some people believe that humility is a sign of weakness.In truth, it is a manifestation of spiritual strength.
- How to cultivate humility on a daily basis: Express your thankfulness to God for everything you have and everything you have accomplished.
- Put your faith in His prophets and apostles and listen to their advice.
- Have confidence in your ability to do anything when you rely on Him.
- Obedience to authority Following God’s commands or spiritual promptings may require you to do actions that you may not completely comprehend.
- The act of obeying is a significant act of faith.
- In his message, President Uchtdorf reminds us that ″when we have confidence in Christ, we trust the Lord enough to keep His commandments—even when we may not totally comprehend the reasons for them.″ How to cultivate obedience on a daily basis: Study the Ten Commandments of God.
- This week, concentrate on one or two areas where you can make improvements.
- As you act on your faith and obey God, as Jesus did, your understanding of God will expand, and your desire to be obedient will grow along with it.
- God has given us Christlike characteristics as gifts.
- Many of them are already in your possession.
It will take effort and time to develop all of them, but you will be able to do so with the assistance of Heavenly Father.Be willing and eager to make small but significant improvements every day, one decision at a time.You will grow more like Jesus Christ as a result of your actions.
How to Love Like Jesus
″Look at how much Christ cares for us.″It’s that kind of love.″ – Ephesians 5:2 (New International Version) The most effective way to live is to love like Jesus.When we love like He loves, we are able to step outside of ourselves and see our loved ones and their needs clearly.
We can lose the layers of selfishness, bitterness, worry, pettiness, and entitlement that have accumulated through time.Most importantly, we have the ability to transcend our human faults and enter a state of sublime love.When we look at Jesus’ love model, we are challenged to avoid settling for anything less than ″the most wonderful method.″ Continue reading if you want to love like Jesus.
Can anyone really love like Jesus?
When it comes to love, Jesus set a new standard that is impossible to match.He instills in us the values of loving our adversaries, turning the other cheek, and going the additional mile.That appears to be absolutely absurd to our human minds–but that is just the purpose.
If we wish to love as Jesus did, we must first open our hearts and then our brains to him.We must be able to use our emotions, reason, ideas, and sentiments to their fullest potential.We won’t be able to bring perfect love into our imperfect lives until we are willing to be completely vulnerable.Why?
It is because opening your heart allows love to transform your perspective.When Jesus affects your heart, it is possible for your mind to be touched as well, resulting in a total transformation.Allowing your emotions to into the debate will completely transform your way of thinking.Our understanding is that Paul was referring to this when he said, ″You will be changed from the inside out″ (Romans 12:1 MSG).In your pursuit of rational love, you will lose out on a love that is extraordinary–on the potential to discover a love that you didn’t even realize you were looking for.Jesus’ ideal image of love has the potential to contaminate our own flawed selves.
Why?Because loving as He does is more reachable than we think we are capable of.
5 actionable ways to love like Jesus
- At the very least, Jesus’ example and teachings point us in the direction of five ways we might love more like Him. However, while this is by no means an entire list, these activities might serve as a useful beginning point for applying mindfulness to our flawed, human existence. To love like Jesus, we must first and foremost: Be aware. Our life and the people in them must be more profoundly connected, rather than living a distant and isolated existence
- Make yourself approachable. The importance of individuals feeling secure approaching us cannot be overstated
- in other words, we must become less exclusive in our dealings with others and more friendly to those who approach us.
- Be gracious in all that you do. We must be willing to relate to people in a less judgemental way
- else, we will be judged.
- Take a chance. We must let go of our fears, ″because God has given us a spirit that is not frightened, but one that is full of strength and love and self-control″ (2 Timothy 1:7, ESV)
- Be selfless in your actions. To be more invested in others around us, we must become less self-absorbed and more invested in ourselves.
Jesus showed these characteristics again and over again to illustrate to us that they are not unachievable standards. Instead, they’re a practical approach to gain a hold of a heavenly ideal on a more mundane level.
Debunking the myths
Oftentimes, people have the misconception that loving like Jesus requires them to become a doormat or a weak wimp, or even a spoilsport.According to some, living a life of love like Jesus requires us to deny ourselves everything, lose out on all of the pleasure, and smother our joy.However, this is not the case.
The ability to exercise love in our everyday relationships–whether in marriage, with friends, with family, or in any other context–is truly the defining characteristic of human pleasure, according to recent study.Whenever we give of ourselves to others and accomplish good deeds, we engage higher-level brain functions, which in turn cause neurochemical responses in our brains.As a result, what happened?Positive emotions are released in a cascade.
God created us with a desire for happiness because he desires for us to be happy.However, we are rarely aware that the things we believe would bring us happiness in fact do not do so.The things we strive for really interfere with our ability to genuinely appreciate life.We become accustomed to pathetic joys that endure just a few moment–and hence miss out on the most profound pleasures life has to offer.Learning to love like Jesus is not an elusive, out-of-reach, or impossible-to-achieve theological goal.It’s available to you and me right now, no questions asked.
We will fail at times, but with each time we pick ourselves up and try again, we will gain a little more understanding.It will not be simple, but it is possible.And I (Les) would want to accompany you on this voyage.
Need a road map?
A thorough dive into the five actions you and I can take in order to love more like Jesus is contained within my new book Love Like That (available now).In addition to receiving a sneak peak at chapter 1, a 30-day devotional, and a free copy of the Deep Love exam, when you pre-order, you’ll also have access to additional extra resources.You may get a copy of the book here.
For anyone interested in joining the Love Like That launch team, you can sign up here.Do you want to be more like Jesus in your love?Are you already implementing some of the suggestions in this article?In the comments section below, tell us about how they’ve opened your heart and transformed your perspective.
How to Be a Disciple of Christ
- What It Means to Be a Disciple of Jesus Christ ″How to Be a Disciple of Christ″ is a book that explains what it means to be a Christian disciple. The New Era, August 2012, page 48 From the general conference talk ″The Way of the Disciple,″ which appeared in the May 2009 issue of Ensign. Beginning right where we are, the journey of discipleship begins with the first step. We are not required to prequalify in order to begin the first step. It makes no difference whether we are wealthy or impoverished. It is not necessary to be well-educated, articulate, or intellectual in order to participate. We are not required to be flawless, well-spoken, or even well-mannered in order to be successful. Today, you and I have the opportunity to pursue the path of discipleship. So let us be humble, and then let us pray to our heavenly Father with all of our hearts, expressing our need to become closer to and learn more about Him.
- You will find what you are looking for if you have trust. The door will be opened if you knock on it. (See Matthew 7:7 for further information.) Service to the Lord may be accomplished through service to others. Become an active participant in your ward or branch.
- Make a commitment to living the principles of the gospel in your home to strengthen your family. Be of one heart and mind as a family.
- Make the necessary adjustments in your lives so that you can receive a temple recommendation and use it.
- Spend meaningful family home evenings reading the scriptures and praying to our Heavenly Father.
- Fill our hearts with gratitude for the Restoration of His Church, for living prophets, for the Book of Mormon, and for the priesthood power that has been bestowed upon us.
Discovering What It Means to Be a Christian Disciple In the book ″How to Be a Disciple of Christ,″ the author shares his thoughts on what it means to be a disciple of Christ.In the August 2012 issue of New Era, page 48 From the general conference talk ″The Way of the Disciple,″ which appeared in Ensign in May 2009, pages 77–78.Source: Right where we are, in this very now, is the beginning of the journey of discipleship!
That initial stage does not need us to be prequalified.What matters is that we are all equal, regardless of our financial circumstances.It is not necessary to be well-educated, articulate, or intelligent in order to be successful.We are not required to be faultless, well-spoken, or even well-mannered in our interactions with others.
The road of discipleship is open to you and me right now.Make no boasts about ourselves, and instead, offer up heartfelt prayers to God the Father through which we hope to come closer to Him and learn more about Him.You will find what you are looking for if you just believe.The door will be opened if you knock on it hard and long enough.(7:7) (See Matthew 7:7 for further information).Provide service to others in order to serve the Lord.
Be involved in your ward or branch activities.Commit to living the principles of the gospel in your home to strengthen your family.Be of one heart and mind as a family.; Make the necessary changes in your lives so that you can receive a temple recommendation and use it.; Spend meaningful family home evenings reading the scriptures and praying to our Heavenly Father.; Fill our hearts with gratitude for the Restoration of His Church, for living prophets, for the Book of Mormon, and for the priesthood power that has been bestowed upon us.
How to Live for Jesus
Article in PDF format IN THIS ARTICLE, you will learn more about Sections that aren’t listed above Article in PDF format It is the responsibility of Christians to live for Jesus and to follow him in whatever they do.Nevertheless, what precisely does it mean to live for Jesus, and how does one go about doing so?The most effective method is to search for instances of Christ’s life in the Bible and strive to live as closely as possible to his example.
Living for the Savior is more significant than living for ourselves or for our own interests.Here are some practical measures you can do right now to begin living your life for Jesus in your everyday life.
Method 1 of 10:Spend time praying each day.
1 Make a time for prayer in a peaceful place.Prayer is the means by which we develop a personal relationship with God.In fact, the Bible mentions Jesus going to a peaceful area to pray on a number of occasions throughout the book.
You can only imagine how vital it is for you to pray if the Son of God need prayer as part of His spiritual existence.Make it a priority to spend some time each day talking to God and listening for His instruction, following in Jesus’ footsteps.You can pray about everything and everything, from your concerns and sins to exciting new opportunities.Pray that God would guide you in making the best decisions possible in your own life, and pray for those people who are struggling or who haven’t discovered God yet in theirs.
Method 2 of 10:Serve others.
- 1 Giving your time and energy to others is a beautiful way to honor Jesus. Despite the fact that he was God’s Son, Jesus did not come to this world and demand that everyone submit to him and attend to his every need. He provided food for the hungry, treated the ill, and even went so far as to wash the feet of a stranger in His humility. To live your life for Him, treat people the way He did—by assisting them when they are in need, forgiving them when they make mistakes, and loving them unconditionally no matter what happens in their lives. Work at a soup kitchen or organize a clothes drive to aid those in need in your neighborhood if you want to give back to your community.
- Providing individuals with less formal services, such as purchasing a lunch for someone who is hungry or listening to a friend who is going through a difficult period, is also possible
- Make use of the things God has given you as a way to help others—whether it’s intelligence or riches, or a special talent such as musical ability.
Method 3 of 10:Study the Bible.
- 1 In order to live for God, you must first grasp His word. If you wish to live for and like Jesus, you must first understand who He was and what He was like. In the first four books of the New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), we are told the story of Jesus’ life and the lessons He taught His apostles and disciples. This might be an excellent location to begin your study of God’s word, but don’t limit yourself to just that. In Matthew 19:17, Jesus instructs us to ″follow the commandments,″ making it apparent that it is essential to grasp all of God’s law in order to truly live as he would have us do. Make an effort to set aside a small amount of time each day to read your Bible. Even 5-10 minutes may make a significant difference in your understanding of Jesus’ love. Keeping this up at the same time every day, such as first thing in the morning, during your lunch break, or just before night, might be beneficial
- if you’re not sure where to begin, get a devotional book or sign up for a daily newsletter from a local church. The Scriptures in this section will provide you with a specific Scripture to concentrate on each day.
- 1 Inform them of God’s love for them and of Jesus’ death on the cross. When you see a great movie or eat at a fantastic new restaurant, you’re typically delighted to tell your friends about it, aren’t you? In the same manner, the greatest way to recognize the incredible gift that Jesus has given us is to share it with as many people as possible. By sharing that love, you are demonstrating that you are actually living for Jesus and that He is the most important thing in your life. ″You are the light of the world,″ the Bible states in Matthew 5:14. ″You are the light of the world.″ That means it is your responsibility to share the light and hope of God’s word with those who are living in sin and hopelessness in your immediate surroundings.
- Consider being involved in an outreach program at your church to promote the gospel of Jesus while also assisting those in need
- you could also share your own testimony with everyone you meet about what God has done in your life.
Method 5 of 10:Resist temptation.
- 1 Pray that God would assist you in remaining strong in the face of temptation. Being a Christian does not rule out the possibility of being tempted to sin at some point in your life. Even though Jesus was the sole person who had never sinned, he was subjected to temptation by Satan! When you become a Christian, however, you are given the gift of the Holy Spirit, who will lead you in determining what is right and wrong in your life. Furthermore, your trust in Jesus will provide you with the power to make decisions that are pleasing to God. ″Lead us not into temptation, but rescue us from evil,″ Jesus pleaded in Matthew 6:13, according to the Bible. You may use the same prayer when you’re asking God to assist you in staying away from sin.
- The Bible guarantees that you will have the strength to resist the temptation to sin in 1 Corinthians 10:13: ″You will have the strength to resist the temptation to sin.″ ″You have not succumbed to any temptation that is not common to man. God is trustworthy, and he will not allow you to be tempted beyond your ability to bear it.″
Method 6 of 10:Put God first.
- 1 Assume that He is the most significant person in your life. The very first commandment of God is that we should not elevate any other gods above Him. However, it is more than simply not adhering to another religion
- it is also about not having anything in your life that is more essential to you than your faith. When you’re feeling down, ask yourself: where do you go for help? What is it in your life that gives you the greatest giddy excitement? Do those things bring God any honor? When the Bible characterizes idols as ″things that will cause a person to fall into sin,″ it is in the book of Ezekiel 14:3. Idols can include harmful habits and substances, but they can also include things that are normally considered positive, such as your career, friends, school, video games, or sports, if they interfere with your relationship with God. Idols can also include things that are normally considered negative, such as your family, friends, or school, if they interfere with your relationship with God.
- If you’re prepared to lie, steal, or cheat in order to achieve or gain something, it’s almost guaranteed that you have an idol in your life that you worship. However, the sin may be more subtle, such as being enraged or envious of someone else if you are unable to obtain what you desire.
- God is all-knowing and all-powerful, but He is also kind and forgiving, and He desires for us to spend our lives for Him.
Method 7 of 10:Don’t put too much value in material things.
- 1 What awaits us in paradise is far more essential than what we have here on earth. When you’re living for Jesus, keep in mind that your ultimate objective is to be with God in heaven, and that your immediate goal is to do everything you can to serve Him in the interim. That indicates that you shouldn’t put too much emphasis on acquiring money or other belongings like as clothing, technology, or jewelry, because they will be of no use to you in your afterlife if you die. You have the right to have lovely things, and you have the right to appreciate them because they are blessings from God, after all. Just be careful not to allow your pursuit of them divert your attention away from serving God.
- The rich man in Matthew 19:21 is told by Jesus, ″If you want be perfect, sell everything you possess and give to the needy, and you will have treasure in heaven.″
Method 8 of 10:Trust God’s plan.
- 1 Even in the midst of difficult circumstances, look to Him for guidance. Everything you go through is part of God’s plan for your life, according to Romans 8:28. ″And we know that for those who love God, all things work together for good,″ the Bible says. This holds true even when you are confronted with enormous difficulties, such as illness, poverty, or the death of family members. Just keep praying that God would reveal His will to you and that He will be exalted as a result of whatever you are experiencing. The fact that you are under terrible circumstances does not imply that you must constantly be cheerful. Jesus demonstrated this when He grieved as He lamented the loss of his friend Lazarus, despite the fact that He was going to raise him from the dead
- in Matthew 22:39, Jesus even asked to God to assist Him in avoiding being crucified. And yet, when he responded, ″Not as I will, but as you will,″ he was still acknowledging the perfection of God’s design
Method 9 of 10:Spend time with other believers.
1 When you need help, lean on your friends for assistance.Although Jesus was the perfect Son of God, He chose to surround Himself with friends, not only to educate them about God, but also to provide support for Him when He needed it most.When Jesus was about to be crucified, He requested His companions Peter, James, and John to join Him in prayer, according to Matthew 26:38.
What a stunning illustration of why Christians should spend time cultivating solid, loving connections with their fellow believers!You should spend time praying, reading from the Bible, and listening to one another when you gather together.You will all develop together as you follow Jesus as a result of this community.
Method 10 of 10:Have loving relationships with non-believers, too.
- 1 Jesus spent time with both sinners and Christians during his earthly ministry. Being a Christian does not imply that you must isolate yourself from others who do not have the same beliefs as you do. In God’s word, we are commanded to love our neighbors, not simply our fellow Christians. You don’t even have to spend all of your time attempting to persuade nonbelievers to change their minds. Spend quality time with them, listen to their issues, and be there when they want your assistance. As people witness Jesus at action in your life, they may become more interested in learning more about Him when the time is right for them. You can welcome someone to your church, for example, if you have a buddy who does not attend one. However, you should avoid pressuring them too much. As long as you are not tempted to sin when you are with them, it is OK to spend time with them in your usual manner, such as going to a baseball game or eating dinner together.
- Instead of criticizing or putting people down, demonstrate Jesus’ love by encouraging and inspiring them.
- Question Add a new question Question What is the purpose of adult baptism? Pastor Zachary B. Rainey has over 40 years of ministry and pastoral experience, including over ten years as a hospice chaplain. He is a member of the American Association of Hospice and Palliative Care. Mr. Johnson graduated from Northpoint Bible College and serves on the General Council of the Assemblies of God. He is married and has two children. Expert Opinion from an Ordained Minister Participants in ″believer’s baptism″ may want to be immersed in water because they want to connect with Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection. Being buried with Christ and rising again to live a new life is represented through baptism by immersion in water. ″I no longer live for myself
- I live a new life in Christ,″ says the person who has been baptized. Every disciple of Jesus is exhorted in the Christian Scriptures to ″death″