“What A Friend We Have In Jesus” By Alan Jackson
Countryfancast.com As far as we know, Jesus is the only being in the cosmos whom we may consider as our Savior, Father, Mother, and friend. He assumes all of the duties at the same time, allowing us to go forward in the proper way. Indeed, a friend on whom we can rely, especially in times of need. Furthermore, while Jesus may not be physically sensed, we may connect with him on an emotional and cerebral level via prayer and meditation. Through prayer, we may express our concerns to him and let him handle them.
Alan Jackson sang the song in order to make it more significant for us.
He is one of the country music musicians in the business who is known for letting his emotions through through his music.
In its essence, “What A Friend We Have In Jesus” is a poem written in 1855. As part of the poem’s creation, Joseph M. Scriven pooled resources with others. The poem’s meaning and purpose are to provide comfort to Scriven’s mother, who was living far away from his son at the time. Scriven was living in Canada at the time, while his mother was residing in the Republic of Ireland. Even though Scriven published the poem under an assumed name, it was a success because of the poem’s heart-wrenching message.
The poem-turned-song became so popular then with churches and religious groups.
Despite the negative feedback, the song’s popularity has remained stable, with the message and meaning of the song in particular.
Additionally, you can follow us on Facebook for more updates.
Alan Jackson – What a Friend We Have In Jesus Lyrics
What a friend we have in Jesus, who bears all of our sins and sorrows, and what a gift it is to bring everything to God in prayer. Oh, what tranquility we so frequently forsake. How much unnecessary suffering we endure because we do not bring everything before God in prayer. Have you experienced challenges and temptations? Is there any difficulty somewhere? We should never give up hope despite our difficulties. Take it to the throne of grace in prayer. Can we discover a buddy who is so dependable that he will bear all of our sorrows?
Become A Better SingerIn Only 30 Days , WithEasyVideo Lessons!
Ernest Ford, Joseph Scriven, Charles Converse, and Jack Fascinato collaborated on the script.
Lyrics courtesy of Bluewater Music Corp., Integrity Music, and O/B/O CAPASSOLyrics courtesy of Bluewater Music Corp., Integrity Music, and O/B/O CAPASSOLyrics courtesy of Bluewater Music Corp. LyricFind has made this possible.
- Friday, September 30, 8:00 p.m. GATINEAU: Theatre du Casino du Lac-Leamy
- GATINEAU: Theatre du Casino du Lac-Leamy Friday, August 11th, 7:00 p.m. The Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Movies in which is played
Alan Jackson captures the gospel in this flashback from the late 2000s. With this beautiful version of “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” the country singer surrenders himself to the good lord and his heavenly Father. It is possible that the Ryman Auditorium will not feature a steeple. Jackson, on the other hand, transformed the music arena into a cathedral for himself and the hundreds of adoring admirers who had gathered to see his funeral. The performer infused the song with feelings of love and reverence.
A country-tinged rendition of “What a friend we have in Jesus/ All our sins and griefs to bear/ What a privilege it is to carry/ Everything to God via prayer” was performed by the singer.
Jackson followed in the footsteps of many other country music performers, like Charley Pride, when he released his debut album in 2006.
This was Jackson’s first foray into the world of evangelical music, with the single “Precious Memories.” And it turned out to be a wise decision on his part.
The Alan Jackson Song is Almost 200 Years Old
Of fact, many of Jackson’s songs from the album were written when he was considerably younger. The song “What a Friend We Have in Jesus” was written in 1855 and is still in use today. The story of how the song came to be is almost as passionate as the music itself. The lyrics were written by Irish poet Joseph M. Scriven for his mother, who passed away recently. The poet had been gone in Canada and wanted to send her a little consolation while he was out there. The poet made the decision to publish the lyrics under an assumed name.
- Charles Crozat Converse, a musician and attorney who lived in the 1880s, put the song to music long before Jackson sang it.
- It quickly became one of those Sunday morning rituals for me.
- In order to put the hymn on the album, Jackson had to chose to record “Precious Memories” first and then release it.
- Also on the program was a magnificent performance of “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” which he introduced to the crowd.
What a Friend We Have in Jesus – Wikipedia
|“What a Friend We Have in Jesus”|
|Published||lyrics published 1865 by H. L. Hastings lyrics with tune published 1870 byOliver DitsonCo.|
|Composer(s)||Charles C. Converse (1868)|
|Lyricist(s)||Joseph M. Scriven (1855)|
It was initially composed as a poem by preacher Joseph M. Scriven in 1855 to console his mother, who was living in Ireland at the time while he was in Canada. It is now considered a Christian hymn and is sung by millions of people worldwide. Scriven first published the poem anonymously, and it was only in the 1880s that he was given full credit for it. The hymn’s music was created by Charles Crozat Converse in 1868, and it is still in use today. There are several variations of the hymn, each with a different set of lyrics in a variety of languages.
Other songs, such as the Welsh “Calon Lân,” have been used in conjunction with the lyrics in some instances (originally wedded to the Welsh poem translated as “A Pure Heart”).
- Bing Crosby (1951, Beloved Hymns)
- Tennessee Ernie Ford (1928, Columbia Records)
- Washington Phillips, as “Jesus Is My Friend” (1928, Columbia Records)
- Among those who have recorded hymns are Ernie Ford (1958, Nearer the Cross, Capitol Records)
- Rosemary Clooney (1959, Hymns from the Heart, MGM Records)
- The Stanley Brothers (1960)
- Reno Smileyand the Tennessee Cut-Ups (1963)
- Ella Fitzgeraldwith the Ralph Carmichael Choir (1967,Brighten the Corner)
- Thurl Ravenscroft(1970,Great Hymns In Story and Song)
- Aretha Franklin (1972,Amaz FlattScruggs also contributed to the performance when Flatt and Earl Scruggs played together. Bill Monroe (Bear Family (German) BCD-16639) is a fictional character created by author Bill Monroe. It was recorded by several artists, including Wade and Julia Mainer with unknown musicians (1989), Glen Campbell (1989, Favorite Hymns), Driving Miss Daisy(1989), sung at Little Friendship Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia, The John Tesh Project(2000), and Amy Grant(2002), who included it in a medley called “What a Friend We Have in Jesus/Old Rugged Cross/How Great Thou Art” on her 2002 studio album Legacy. Hymns and Faith, which was eventually featured on her compilation album Be Still and Know (Be Still and Know, 2015). Hymns “Changes” by Alan Price
- Alan Jackson (2006, Precious Memories)
- Brad Paisley (2008)
- Ronnie Milsap (2009, Then Sings My Soul)
- Hugh Laurie (2013), “Didn’t It Rain,” as “Changes” by Alan Price
- Monty Alexander (2013), “Uplift 2.” In 1979, William Bolcom wrote an arrangement of the song.
The title of the hymn was initially translated into Japanese as “Itsukushimi Fukaki” (lit. “Merciful”), which is the name by which it is best known. When Daisui Sugitani reworked the lyrics in Japanese and altered the title to “Hoshi no Yo” (lit. “World of Stars”) in 1910, it was considered a breakthrough. Another version, titled “Hoshi no Sekai” (lit. “World of Stars”), was written by Ryko Kawaji and published under the same title. It is also known by the term “Tsumitoga o Ninou” (lit. “To Bear Sin”) in some regions of Japan.
- Both of the hymn instrumentals from “Hoshi no Sekai” and “Itsukushimi Fukaki” are utilized as background music for Key’s 2004 visual novelPlanetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet, which was arranged byMagome Togoshi and released in Japan in 2004.
- Statistics show that the majority of Indonesians are Muslim (about 76 percent), but native religious elements account for up to 90 percent of the overall population, and as a result, the hymn is only generally recognized among artists, scholars, and members of Indonesia’s Christian community.
- It is sung as “Yeshu kaisa dost pyara” in Hindi, and it is considered to be a very important song.
- In Malayalam, the hymn known as “Enthu Nallore sakhi Yesu” is sung to provide solace and to serve as an invitation to follow Christ in his mission.
- Preethi gala mana Yesu is the translation, and it is hymn No.
- In India, the hymn “Dulob Jezu,” which is performed in Konkani, was translated into English by Felix Paul Noronha of Mangalore.
- For more than a century, this song has been sung in unison by the churches of evangelical denominations.
Parodies and homages
Among the songs that have been made fun of include the soldiers’ song from World War I, “When this awful war is finished.” More recently, the song has been used to express dissatisfaction with the way theBoris Johnson administration handled the Coronavirus outbreak. When thiscovid lockdown is lifted, my, what a relief it will be. Send theBozo back to Eton, if possible. I’m done with the Tory idiots. There will be no more applauding with the cretins. There will be no Matt Handcock making trouble.
Sir KeirStarscream is a fictional character created by Sir Keir Starscream.
Hugh Laurie recorded a cover version of the song for his album Didn’t It Rain in 2013. The song will also be included in the anime series Taisho Otome Fairy Tale, which will premiere in 2021.
- Rise Up Singing, page 98
- Hymn457 in the Lutheran Hymnal
- And more sources.
- “What a friend we have in Jesus,” according to the Hymnology Archive. retrieved on the 5th of July, 2020
- Chapter IX, page 301 of The Valley of the Trent’s The Valley of the Trent, Edwin C. Guillet’s “Community Life: Religion.” The Champlain Society, 1957
- “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” retrieved on 2007-05-03
- Polack, W. G., et al (1941). Lutheran Hymnal: A Handbook for the Lutheran Hymnal. Concordia University Press, St. Louis, Missouri, p. 323
- “Washington Phillips discography.” Washington Phillips discography. wirz.de. Obtainable on August 24, 2015
- George Washington Phillips says, “Jesus is my best friend.” AllMusic, accessed August 24, 2015
- “Pure Hymns overview,” accessed August 24, 2015. Allmusic. “Monty Alexander UPLIFT 2,” which was retrieved on July 4, 2010. Jazz Legacy Productions is a jazz-themed production company. “Bolcom, W.: Gospel Preludes, Books 1-4 (Hand)”, which was retrieved on January 11, 2014. Naxos. “Itsukushimi Fukaki song sheet,” which was retrieved on November 11, 2021. (PDF). 312: What a Friend We Have in Jesus. Retrieved 2008-03-19
- Christhiya Keerthanangal (Christian Hymns). 2007. Hymn 173
- “Trench Songs – When this Lousy War is Over”. The Poetry of the First World War Digital Archive. On the 30th of July in the year 2020,
- “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” says the author. Silver wings is a compilation of brand-new Sunday school music that was composed specifically for this project. Boston, Massachusetts: Oliver Ditson Company, 1870. Retrieved2020-07-05
- Timeless Truths has a piano score (pdf) available.